University of Thessaly is offering a position in microbiology with expected commencement July 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is offered in the frame of the project RATION, an HORIZON Europe project (Risk Assessment Innovation of Low Risk Pesticides). It is a 4-year project which has stared at 1.11.2022.
Brief Project Description
Low risk pesticides (LRP) including (i) plant extracts (ii) semiochemicals like pheromones and allelochemicals, (iii) microbial pesticides, are gaining ground in the global market, as substitutes of synthetic pesticides. In addition, new microbial solutions (phages, protists, microbial consortia) and ds-RNA pesticides are emerging, low-risk solutions expect to reach the market in coming years. Despite ongoing regulatory efforts by the European Commission, we are still lacking a concrete risk assessment (RA) scheme relevant to LRPs, a point which blocks LRPs reaching the EU market. RATION timely comes to address these regulatory constraints and aims to develop a novel RA scheme, supported by the necessary guidance on methods and tools, tailored to the specific characteristics of established and emerging LRP solutions. This main goal will be achieved through a series of interrelated WPs aiming (i) to map the current status of LRPs in Europe and identify main regulatory constraints (WP1). In this quest it will be supported by a stakeholders forum composed of all relevant actors (industry, regulators, academics, famers, general public); (ii) to develop and validate, through a proof-of-concept exercise, innovative RA (and associated tools) for microbials (WP2), plant extracts, semiochemicals, pheromones (WP3) and, ds-RNA (WP4); and from there (iii) build a harmonized RA for all LRP and determine its socioeconomic impact (WP5), (iv) to effectively communicate and disseminate the new RA knowledge and its associated tools developed by RATION to relevant actors ensuring sustainability beyond project duration (WP6). RATION will benchmark EU regulatory science, uplift blockers holding back LRP uptake by the EU market and motivate research innovation in plant protection. To achieve these goals 22 partners from academia, industry and regulatory bodies, representing 10 member states and 2 non-EU member states, will join forces in a multi-sectoral and multidisciplinary effort.
Principal Investigator: Asst. Prof. Costas Papagiannitsis, firstname.lastname@example.org, +30-2413502532
The position is available for 32 months. The main working tasks of the successful candidate will be:
- To be able to use appropriate bioinformatic tools for assembly and functional annotation of whole genome sequence of bacteria, fungi and other microorganisms destined to be used as biopesticides
- To help on the study and use of CRISPR/Cas systems in controlling virulence and pathogenicity of bacteria
- To help on validation of methods and protocols for assessing the pathogenicity/infectivity of microbial pesticides to humans.
- To analyze the data using appropriate bioinformatic tools
- To be able to collaborate with other researchers, understand biological scientific questions and provide analytical solutions to complex datasets
- To work closely with the PI, Postdocs and other researchers working on RATION
- To be able to right reports and scientific documents
- First Degree in Biology or equivalent degree in Biosciences (e.g. Biotechnology, Biochemistry etc.)
- Experience in the analysis of biological data to determine pathogenicity and infectivity of microorganisms
- Previous experience in the use of molecular biological tools (q-PCR, RT-q-PCR)
- Previous experience in the use of databases for the analysis of microbial genomes, genome assembly and annotation
Terms of employment
Recruitment and Terms of appointment will be done according to the national rules and regulations. The stipend of the fellow will be 1000 € including social and health security coverage (700 € net/monthly).
Place of Employment
University of Thessaly, School of Medicine, Laboratory of Microbiology, Larissa, GREECE
The application, must be submitted by mail to email@example.com
- Full CV including studies, research experience, work experience and publications (if available)
- 3 professional referees (Name, address, telephone & email)
The University of Thessaly wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic background.
The deadline for applications is 12.07.2023. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
Recruitment Process: After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the project manager will provide all applications to the members of the recruitment committee which will evaluate all applications and select the best three candidates based on the quality of the candidates’ previous training, qualifications and skills (as listed above), CV. The best three candidates will be interviewed by the recruitment committee which will select the best applicant for the position. The applicants will be notified of the final selection by the Project Manager and will be given 7 days to accept or decline.
For specific information about the position, please contact Asst. Prof. Costas Papagiannitsis (firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. +302413502532)